13-Dec-2016 04:16:00 GMT
The Ashes 2017-18
Adelaide to Host First day-night Ashes Test
|Australia announced schedule of Ashes 2017-18|
Sydney: Australia will host England at the Adelaide Oval in the first day-night Ashes Test during the 2017-18 series, building on the success of the concept despite lingering concerns.
The series between the arch-rivals opens at the Gabba in Brisbane from November 23 before heading to Adelaide then Perth. Melbourne hosts the traditional Boxing Day Test with Sydney rounding it off, Cricket Australia announced Tuesday.
This is followed by five one-day internationals between January 14-28 before a Twenty20 tri-series also involving New Zealand, to be played on both side of the Tasman.
Adelaide hosted the first-ever Test under lights using a pink ball last year and it was a roaring success, with record attendances for the clash against New Zealand.
Buoyed by the public reaction, the same venue was used for a day-night Test against South Africa last month, while Australia face Pakistan under lights in the first Test at Brisbane this week.
Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said Adelaide fans loved Test cricket under the stars and he expected a full house next year.
Australian captain Steve Smith and his England counterpart Alastair Cook both suggested earlier this year that the Ashes should remain a traditional red-ball affair.
Schedule for the 2017-18 Ashes series:
- 1st Test - November 23-27 at the Gabba in Brisbane
- 2nd Test - December 2-6, Adelaide Oval (day-night)
- 3rd Test - December 14-18, Perth (venue TBC)
- 4th Test - December 26-30, Melbourne Cricket Ground
- 5th Test - January 4-8, Sydney Cricket Ground
Australia v England one-day series 2018
- 1st ODI - January 14, Melbourne Cricket Ground
- 2nd ODI - January 19, the Gabba in Brisbane
- 3rd ODI - January 21, Sydney Cricket Ground
- 4th ODI - January 26, Adelaide Oval
- 5th ODI - January 28, Perth (venue TBC)