Dubai: Teams will be allowed two additional reviews after 80 overs of an innings in Test matches from October 1, the International Cricket Council announced on Wednesday.
The ICC said a team's referrals will be topped-up to two reviews after 80 overs in Test matches where the Decision Review System (DRS) is used. Currently, a team is allowed up to two unsuccessful reviews per innings.
The decision to introduce the new trial was taken at the two-day ICC Chief Executives' Meeting which also decided to form a Working Group to review the objectivity of the DRS system.
"A trial will be conducted whereby a team's referrals will be topped-up to two reviews after 80 overs of an innings. This trial will start from 1 October 2013 in all Test matches in which the DRS is used, with the results being monitored and considered by the Working Group," the ICC said in a release.
With the DRS generating a lot of controversies in the recent Ashes series between Australia and England, the ICC has decided to form a Working Group to streamline the system.
"The CEC agreed that a Working Group be constituted to consider how the ICC should best use technology in umpire decision-making in the future," the release said.
"The considerations of the group will be wide ranging and include a review of the objectives and philosophies of using the technologies, protocols and procedures as well as the role and training of television umpires."
The CEC reviewed the performance of the Decision Review System (DRS) during the Ashes series and received an update on a technology trial that was conducted during the Old Trafford Test.
During its Chief Executives' meeting here, the ICC discussed a range of issues, relating to Umpires, over rates, bad light, Use of technology in umpiring and ODI Playing Conditions.
"Following due consideration of the Cricket Committee's views and the arguments for and against retaining the two new balls provision, opinions of the CEC members remained divided and, as such, the current playing condition remains as is," the ICC release said.
"The CEC also approved the ICC Cricket Committee's recommendation that in an ODI reduced to 25 overs or less prior to the start of first innings, only one new ball will be used per innings. This regulation will come into effect from 1 October 2013.
"The CEC asked the ICC Cricket Committee to prioritise investigations into the development of a ball that can last the full 50 overs of an innings whilst still providing a fair balance between bat and ball," the release said
The ICC also confirmed the launch of World Test Championship in October, coinciding with the start of the Pakistan/South Africa Test series.
"It has been an excellent engagement in which we discussed a series of issues, some of which will be taken forward to the ICC Board which will meet in London next month. The unanimous support for the authority of the umpires and commitment to the Spirit of Cricket was particularly pleasing," ICC chief executive David Richardson said.
Among other decisions, the ICC also amended the Code of Conduct as previously agreed by the ICC Board at the June meeting, preventing the tactic of a team switching its captain to avoid an over rate suspension on the captain.
ICC also confirmed an amendment to the ICC Player Eligibility Regulations as previously agreed by the ICC Board at the June meeting, providing that the standout period for a Full Member player who wishes to return to his original Associate or Affiliate Member shall be reduced from four years to two years.
"Broadcast Cameras on/over the field of play - approved a set of guidelines/regulations for the use of broadcast cameras on/over the field during international matches.